Home Caregiver & Support Worker

Home Caregiver & Support Worker

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot are 5-year pilot programs that let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents.

If you’ve been offered a job in Canada as a caregiver or have experience working in Canada as a caregiver, you may be able to apply for permanent residence through one of these pilots.

The application process will be different depending on your situation and how much qualifying work experience you have.

Important Features of Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilots:

  • - Occupation-specific work permits instead of employer-specific work permits, to allow candidates to change jobs.
  • - Open work permits and/or study permits for immediate family members.
  • - Guaranteed permanent residence. Once two years of work experience is accumulated, candidates will be able to become permanent residents quickly. 

Initial applications to the new pilots have a target processing time of 12 months. Applications for permanent residence after accumulating two years of experience have a target processing time of six months.

The Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots replace the Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilots, as of June 18, 2019.

Caregivers who were working towards applying to expiring pilots can now apply through either of the new pilots.

Those who applied through the old system before June 18 will have their applications processed through to a final decision.

With the move to occupation-specific work permits, employers no longer need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before hiring a caregiver from overseas.


Requirements: Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilots

 -  Job offer

 -  CLB 5 language level

 -  1 year of Canadian post-secondary education or foreign equivalent

Applying From Outside Canada

Step 1: Get a Work Permit

Submit applications for permanent residence and work or study permit(s) for yourself and your family.

Get an occupation-specific work permit to obtain the work experience you need for permanent residence.

Get work or study permits for your spouse or common-law partner and children to come with you.

Step 2. Permanent Residence Finalized

Once two years of work experience is completed, submit proof to IRCC to get permanent residence.


Applying From In Canada

Candidates who already have work experience as an in-home caregiver in Canada can choose one of two options:

1) Use the 2-step process outlined above, then complete two years of experience to get permanent residence.

2) Keep working in Canada with current work permit and apply for permanent residence once 2 years of work experience are complete, provided general requirements are met.

It doesn’t matter what situation you find yourself in, we at M. Khan & Company, will provide you with options. We can lay out these options in front of you, making sure you understand the full scope of your circumstances. Whether you are facing deportation or just want to immigrate, your situation can likely be very sensitive and urgent. Isn’t it important that you understand all the options that you have before deciding? Contact us on +1 604-591-582

Request A Call Back

Request A Callback